So, what’s an Apple person to do when they want the iPhone but don’t want to go through the hassle of switching wireless providers? – purchase an iPod touch, perhaps? Well, it really depends on what you want to get out of your new device. I was looking for something that can function mainly as a PDA and also have all the Mac compatibility that an Apple product should. I’ve had the iPod touch (3rd Generation) for 2 days now and so far here is a list of what I see as the advantages and disadvantages of this product:
Advantages of iPod touch
- can sync with most email clients, calendar apps, and contact lists
- can utilize almost all the same Widgets and Apps as iPhone (with Wi-fi connection)
- has more memory for Applications
- even though it is not a phone, there are many Apps that can allow the iTouch to function as a phone when connected on Wi-fi
- freezes less often than iPhone because it’s using less memory
- has more room for music, photos, documents, media than iPhone
- web browsing experience (when you can access) is very intuitive
- pinching and copy/paste work well
Disadvantages of iPod touch
- does not function as a phone so you would have to carry around multiple devices biggest disadvantage, I think, is that you can only access the internet through a Wi-Fi connection. This can be frustrating if you want to access your email, internet, or applications that rely on the internet
- no camera function
- Google Maps is not as accurate
If you are like me and are not willing to switch cell phone providers, the iTouch may be the solution for you. With all the Apps available, I have been able to customize the iTouch to my preferences, making me more productive. For this, I feel it is successful as a PDA. Although, I can’t rely on it for the internet I can always get online with my cell phone. This may not be ideal for everyone, but as a loyal Apple customer, it will pay off when (fingers crossed) iPhone gets picked up by my wireless provider. In the meantime, the iPod touch is a good transition for me.
What’s your experience of using iTouch? Feel free to visit our site to share yours or read more articles about data rescue.